Friday 31 July 2009

First full day on the Isle of Wight

Hi Blog followers. Well here I am on the beautiful Isle of Wight. I am settled on a lovey campsite called Kite Hill by Fishbourne near to Ryde. (about 2 or 3 miles) It is a lovely site as I think I've said, with all mod cons. Weather has been incredible, varyng from pretty cloudy first thing this morning to clear blue skies and really hot sunshine. Slept really well again last night. My body obviously likes the outdoor life. My oxygen was waiting for me on arrival yesterday. That was a relief, but my doctor's HOOF form and Vitalair got it all spot on. Well done them. So far, the buggy has proved brilliant. I've had many buggies over the year, but this new one, the TGA Electrics Breeze IV has proved to be more than up to the task. To ask any machine to transport me, (and I'm no lightweight) towing their trailer with all my camping gear and luggage for an average of 20 miles a day in varying weather conditions is a huge ask, but here I am on the Island, in one piece and not even a numb bum. A real feather bed ride. Mind you, I'm sure I heard it breathe a sigh of relief today wnen I drove into Ryde with no trailer or luggage. lol.Well done TGA for developing a machine I could say is up to any task. Many thanks also to Tim and all the boys and girls at TGA for their first rate technical support and customer services. A rare thing these days. As I said yesterday, I met up with Hilary from Naomi House when I reached Gunwarf Quay in Portsmouth. She took some photos of me on the Breeze IV which she is going to e-mail to me over the weekend. I'll post them Monday or Tuesday.
So today was go and explore Ryde day and pick up supplies and replacements for the gear I left at home. (I know. I'm a silly bugger) I set off just before lunch and had a good road into town. Passed several signs warning me of the presence of Red Squirrels in the area. Haven't seen one yet but keeping my eyes open and the camera ready. So if any do show themselves, hopefully you will see them too.
Got into Ryde and headed straight for the seafront as, it appears, did half the world. I really is lovely there. Actual sandy beaches.


Driving along the seafront I came to the Isle of Wight Hover Craft base.The only operating passenger hovercraft ferry in Europe. (and we invented the darn thing) I had to photograph it through a rather grubby perspex gate as "Health and Safety" don't allow the public too close when it taks off because of the sand and other debrit it kicks up.

Quite a sight.

Carrying on along the seafront you come to the usual attraction. Ice rink, Bowling ally, gift shops, trampolines. (no they said I'd break them if I had a go)and beautiful little gardens filled with spectacular colourful flowers and palm trees.



At this point I headed into the centre of town to do the boring and very expensive shopping. With th buggy fully loaded I headed back to the campsite. dropped off the shopping and went out again to Wooton. Stopped by the creek to have a pint in the early evening sun. Now back in my tent about to have dinner and settle down for the night. We have just had a shower, very light. Lasted a whole 2 minutes. Tomorrow depending on the weather, I am either going to the nearest attraction to me. Quarr Abbey and ruins, of if it looks good to go further afield I'll try Cowes. Also want to check out the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. So nightie night. Sleep tight (take a bottle of gin to bed lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment