Wednesday 29 July 2009

Second day stared well. Slept like a log. Woken at 4am by the most incredible dawn chorus, here was also a mysterious furry creature wandering about during the night.(no it wasn't me)The site owner thinks it might have been a fox. Also, the camp pussy cats had a go at the ducks on the river just behind my tent. Total mayhem.
Anyway, got back to sleep until about half seven and woke to lovely sunshine. A couple of strangers I met on the way to the washroom donated a fiver to the cause, and my neighbours on the site gave me a tenner,n as did the campsite wner, the delightful Helen. Finally packed up and go on the road about noon. That is when the nightmare of a day began.
I had downloaded routes from Google Maps. Just goes to show how naive I can be sometimes. the route from Brighton to Ford was pretty well fine but the Ford to Chichester route was a total disaster. It was meant to be 15.7 miles. Easy for the buggy but. Following their directions, I turned onto a road and set off along it. after a couple of miles or so, I came to a railway which could only be crossed by footbridge. My buggy is not very good at climbing stairs lol. So, turn round and back tracked almost all the way back to Ford. Spoke to a local who sent me off on a new route telling me it would get past the railway and back on track for Chichester.
All seemed to be going well. 8 mph down the A27, sticking to the very inside of the inside lane. unfortunately, some nice person reported a slow moving vehicle, me, and I waspulled over by the law. They insisted that I get off the A27 as soon as possible and using his sat nav, got me a safe route to Chichester. talk about round the houses. Eventually, by 5pm and with the rain starting to come down, I reached Chichester. Batteries nearly fkat. I tried to phone the campsite to tell them I was on my way, but could only get a recorded message. With the rain now fallong steadily I found my way to a hotel in the centre of town, thinking if push comes to shove,get a room for the night and recharge ready for the morning. Now I'm not a horse racing follower so was unaware the this week is the big Goodwood meeting and Chichesterwas suffering from Bethlehem Syndrome. "No room at the inn" What to do. The young receptionist was brilliant. She got me a cup of tea and set up a new routefor me to my camp. only 6 more miles to go, I finally got through to the campsite on the phone and once on the road, checked in for route updates, finally arriving, soaked and in the rain at the site. Once again the true spirit of the British camper shone through the gloom. the site owner mobilized a small army of fellow campers who in a short break in the weather, pitched my tent, unpacked my things, connected my electricity and while the site owner kindly furnished me with a hot mug of tea, another couple offered me a very tastey bowl of leek and potato soup and bread which arrived accompanied by a bowl of home made apple crumble and custard. Another couple insisted that the bring me at least a bacon buttie and tea for breakfast, and supplied me with a blanket to keep warm. Such people really deserve far more thanks and praise than I can express here. If the rest of the world behaved like these people what a wonderful place it would be. Anyway, I am now snuggled into my bed ready to cruise the highway to the land of nod, And it's finally stopped raining. One last thing. a very near neighbour of mine on the site appears to be a large bull. He's been creating a right racket. Will try to get a photo of him in the morning. S fare thee well my friends and God bless. Tomorrow Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight.

No comments:

Post a Comment