Thursday 30 July 2009

Waking up in an orchard

Well that is another night under canvas survived. Firstly an apology. Last night I placed the blame for the noise on a bull nearby. Sorry Mrs Cow. It was dark and raining and you were the other side of the hedges. It turns out that the cows had just had their babies taken from them and were calling for them. So sad. Can't blame them for kicking up a bit. Anyway, as I said on closing yesterday, it had finally stopped raining and I drifted off to sleep. the blanket I was loaned certainly helped as it was a very cold night, but this morning dawned bright and sunny. The camp was in a lovely orchard and I had a pear tree next to my tent. One of my neighbours, as promised arrived with tea and biscuits, followed shortly after by a bacon buttie. Yummy yum yum. Feeling well fed and rested watched as the squad of fellow campers dismantled my tent and packed everything up for me. The site owner kindly donated £5 to the cause and off I went. Next stop Portsmouth. In bright sunshine I made good time using the cycle lanes and actually had an un-eventful drive. Having left the camp well before 9, I was at Gunwarf quay by 3pm. Met up with Hilary, from Naomi house and was able to have a good chat with her about how things are going. You will be pleased to hear that the administrators of the failed Icelandic bank have agreed to repaying 20% of what they lost. A whole million. Very useful but far from enough. At least the plans for the teenage unit can go ahead. The nearest dedicated teenage unit for the south east of England is in Oxfordshire. Not very good for families already facing the ordeal they face. That's why your help is so greatly needed. Right so after my chat with Hilary, and receiving the good wishes from all back at Naomi House, I was led onto the ferry to Fishbourne on the I.O.W. Arriving in glorious sunshine about 4pm. At this point allow me the thank Sue Hemmings and all the staff and management of Wight Link Ferries for donating my return ferry tickets and for the superb treatment I received. Bless you all.
Arrived at the campsite, Kite Hill, just before 5pm. The site owner, a lovely Welsh lady mustered the help of a Welsh family on the site and my encampment was ready in no time flat. Great people. Having rested sa while and had a good session on my oxygen I set off down to Wooton Bridge and into the village to hit Tescos. Had not done much shopping en-route as I wanted to keep the load down to a minimum. I also picked up a Chinese take away so I won't have to cook tonight. The campsite is lovely. nice level pitches with short grass, and excellent facilities, including a proper dedicated disabled toilet and shower. Going to enjoy it here. Anyway going to finish my take away and enjoy the evening sunshine So good night and God Bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment