Sunday 2 August 2009

Happy Sunday

Hi everybody. Sorry I'm a bit lateon parade today. Had a great day yesterday, (Sunday) Woke up to blazing sunshine. \Real t shirt weather. Had my breakfast and set offto Newport and Cowes. Only went to Newport to the turbine factory demo. It's a cause that has really grabbed the Island. People young, old and in between are really backing the workers there,regardless of their politics. Haven't heard a bad word against it. Enough politics. on to Cowes. It is Cowes week this week. A time when it appears people who's association with the sea amounts to an annual paddle and a plate of cockles on the beach, transform themselves into Yachty types. Yellow wellies, reefer jackets, stripey sweaters and silly sailor hats. Change their normal pint of lager for a Pimms wih all the trimmings (alcoholic fruit salad)and wander around looking at boats most of them could never afford. Clouded over a bit and turned a tad chilly for a while, but soon the sun returned and all was well. Cowes is split into two halves, east and west, divided by the river Medina. You can go the long way round but the Chain bridge is much more fun. It is a floating bridge that hauls itself acrooss the river with two huge chains.

While I was waiting to board, I got alking to one of the loaders. I told him I was planning to have a look at the IOW steam railway and he said he used to work on it as a volunteer. Somehow the conversation moved on to Health and safety rules and he informed me that H&S had banned the drivers and engineers on the steam locos from smoking on the footplate. They claim it would be a fire risk. hat about the bloody great boiler fire box blazing away. bit moe of a fire risk than a fag I would have thought. lol.
So I crossed the Medina into West Cowes. A lovely old town. I made my way into the heart of the action, down on the waterfront. One thing that dominates the area is the huge hanger where they used to build and service hovercraft. The ancestral home of the vessels.

A you can see, the hanger doors are decorated with a huge Union Flag. I was, and I believe still is the largest Union flag in the world. You can also see some of the water traffic which buzzes up and down like a constant stream of water bourne ants.
Thisis one of the larger craft.

On the streets of Cowes, there were Street entertainers dotted around. A very good Jazz trio, Couyldn't get the drummer in. ssssomeone standing in my way who refused to move.
A brillant Barber Shop Choir,
and a traditional Punch and Judy.



Had a good wander round, soaking up the atmosphere and a couple of shandys. (Well I am driving lol) Bought a few souvenirs and sticks of rock. All the usual touristy things. Then it was time to head home. Along the way, I passed Osbourne House. Queen Victoria's holiday pad on the Island. Unfortunately couldn't go in as they were setting up for a big "Simply Red" concert in the grounds in the evening. Found out to my disappointment that Saturday night they had the Medieaval ?Baebes in concert. They are fantastic andI missed them. Continued my route back to base camp and noticed there is a circus set up not far from my campsite. got the details and hoe to go later in the week. I love circuses.

Back on the campsite, settled in forthe night. Watched some of the DCambridge folk festival on tyhe BBC website and then to bed.
Talk to you all again soon.

1 comment:

  1. It looks gorgeous where you are. Nice sandy beaches makes a change from Brighton! x

    ReplyDelete